Saturday 5 January 2013

Custard slices

So, I got to the garden centre... and I can confirm that their new cafe does a cracking custard slice....! THIS is the side of gardening I, a) love and b) am not clueless on!

We spent a fair few hours there (combination of the eldest child constantly needing to go back to the toilets and the youngest being distracted by the parrot on every trip past its cage!), resulting in a serious lack of gardening taking place today. However, I have some pretty new pink gloves. The only pair that fitted me, apparently I have odd shaped hands - all the others either had fingers so wide I could fit two fingers in one or else the palm was too short, rendering my thumb useless as it was pinned to the side of my hand. And I already have enough trouble in the gardening department without attempting it thumb-less (besides, how would I pick up my custard slice without my thumb?!)

I also bought some new seeds - all from my new best friend Mr Fothergill (I'll not bore you with details and save that until I do some actual planting!).

However, I have a confession to make... despite my KIS mantra (KEEP IT SIMPLE!) I couldn't resist and bought, what I think has to be the COOLEST fruit plant I've ever seen a Pineberry! That's right, a Pineberry - looks like a strawberry tastes like a pineapple! Who could resist?!

Its currently sat in my greenhouse looking rather lonely and I think I'm going to plant it in a pair of the girls old wellies which have a hole in, because how fabulous will these look cascading down the sides of a Peppa Pig Wellington!!

So apologies to anyone who was on the edge of their seat waiting to find out what state my compost was in (riveting stuff this!) but you will have to wait until tomorrow to find out. I'm off to stare lovingly at my pineberry now, n'night all!

2 comments:

  1. Pineberries sound delicious. I'm going to have a look in my local garden centre for some. I'm currently on the hunt for some horse manure to reinvigorate the garden before planting begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some pony manure advertised in our local post office! Of little help to you though!!

      Delete