Thursday 21 February 2013

Hanging Baskets

Hi all, a quick update on the seeds! I am pleased to report that 5 of the 6 cucumber seeds have germinated so far and are currently uncurling themselves on the landing window! So today I bought them a grow bag to 'graduate' into when they get big! So far no sign of the Kolh Rabi but the packet did say 7 to 21 days and they've only had 14 days so fingers crossed they poke their heads out soon!

I have also purchased some bargain hanging baskets (special offer at Aldi for this week for anyone inclined to follow in my footsteps!) Given that just a basket would usually be around the £5 mark I decided that the basket plus compost and plants was a good deal - I have 3 hanging basket hooks on the front porch so I figured this was good use of space - I already have one basket and some cherry tomato seeds to plant in it so I got two more baskets, one chilli pepper and one strawberry. They have been planted and have joined the cucumber party on the windowsill upstairs. For anyone with a love of non-functional growing (i.e. flowers!) they had flowery baskets too.

Fingers crossed they grow well (or at all!) because I love the idea of exiting my front door surrounded by the smell of strawberries, chillies and tomatoes! The Smalls can pick their own packed lunch on their way out of the front door in the mornings!

This puts my current planting total/growing potential to: 6 chilli plants, 3 basket strawberry plants, 2 garden strawberry plants (inherited), 1 pineberry plant, 1 redcurrant bush (inherited), 1 raspberry bush (inherited), 1 blackcurrant bush (inherited), 1 apple tree (inherited) one cherry tree (inherited), a big patch of rhubarb (you guessed it, inherited!), 6 cucumber plants, 6 kolh rabi....

So, watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment